CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 27, 2002, 07:22 AM

sponsored links

Celtic Druid...you wanna be any more rediculous...if you want to be taken seriously then try and be realistic about whats being talked about...

LYNDSAY...and how prey tell can you claim to say that im "Totally" incorrect?? Do you work for Pioneer? Do you have insider knowledge of whay exactly Pioneer stop certain media from burning at 2X? I think im quite on track actually, as its more feasible to think that they lock out media that hasnt passed manufacturing qualities to reduce the advent of dud burns....not all media is created equal...whether it be for quality reasons or for royalty reasons, what does it matter? Pioneer are within their rights to do what they wish from that perspective. Thats like saying that Nintendo was wrong in stopping third parties from developing for the N64 without having a licensing agreement with Nintendo first so they could cash in on the production royalties...Thats how they do business...I personally have no qualms with Pioneer locking out uncertified media from burning higher than 1X..it'll save me the hassles of dud burns and wasted money....you can beleive all you want that its a conspiracy to scam us all out of money and time, but i think there's a logical reason to it..

HaZ
Old Mar 27, 2002, 07:39 AM
Veteran

hazzad66, if I am being rediculous, then how come you just agreed with me?? I said that it is wrong to think that you just pay them money and they certify your media. Then you say "its more feasible to think that they lock out media that hasnt passed manufacturing qualities to reduce the advent of dud burns", ie. it is more than just paying money.

So if I am being rediculous, then you are also.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 11:28 AM
Veteran

The bottom line is a Manufacturer should be able to recomend what product to use to compliment their kit, it should NOT be able to enforce. This is anti-competative.

To say it's Pioneers quality proceedure is rubbish. I wouldnt go crying to Pioneer if media burned badly in their drive. I'd go to the manufacturer of the Media.

Pioneer should endorse brands though not enforce if it is concerned about quality. That way if you get a rubbish 2x burn they could say I told you so. I believe the 2nd gen Nokianeeds DVD to be as good as any official 2x DVD-R out there. Why should he not be able to say my DVD-R will burn at 2x if he wishes? That way if they were no good at 2x we could have the freedom of choice to go back to Verbs or whatever.

My VW manual recomends Bosch spark plugs. I am free to put in whatever I want however. The car still starts and works as intended (or arguably works better) if I put Splitfire plugs in.

To say that DVD-R recording is in its infancy is true and elsewhere in another thread I have bemoaned the fact that most media on the market IS generally no good. But isnt that up for me to decide? As is stated elsewhere the A03 is advertised as a 2x burner and frankly this monopoly of endorsed media is a farce and an insult to the consumer.

Ultimately we should have the choice, bottom line.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 12:11 PM
Veteran

What Pioneer are doing is a restrictive practice by only allowing certain media to be used.They may try to hide behind the quality control angle,when its just a money thing if i want to use poor media at 2x and create coasters thats my choice.
Its like buying a porsche that says will do 150mph giving it a thrashing and finding it only does 75mph because you didnt use a certain brand of petrol. Would you complain.

At the end of the day i dont want to be told by a multi-national company what media i can use
Old Mar 28, 2002, 06:59 AM

Celtic Druid...my reference to you relates to this -> "I mean if I gave them enough money do you think that they would certify that the A03 can burn a bottle of Jim Beam at 2x??". Try being realistic...and maybe you'll make a better arguement...

For those that keep saying that they wouldnt hassle Pioneer(as the manufacturer of the unit) if problems arose with certain media, i say this would be untrue...simply because you have another reason to not complain to them at the moment..that being the fact that they restrict the use of certain media trypes...if they didnt, then you would be none the wiser and would be just as liekly to complain to them as you would to the manufacturer of the media..cause the media manufacturers would just tell you they have quality control, so what wuuld you do..complain to Pioneer since there unit doesnt work right with the media you have bought..im all for what Pioneer is doing...if you guys wanna burn on crap media then go for it..im happier to spring for better quality stuff and use the full potential of the unit, rather than have potential problems...i personally think its getting absurd how people are so lawsuit happy....is that how the US solves everything these days...throw a lawsuit at it and it'll go away..

Smod99...unfortunatley there are some serious flaws in your example...Petrol is governed to be of a quality control...if it does not comply, companies suffer the consequences...therefore the consumer should be comfortable in assuming all brands of petrol are of the same quality...dvd-r media is not governed by anyone, it can be top grade to complete crap and no-one give to hoots, therefore the consumer moves into an area where they may buy a inferior product. Pioneers solution is to make sure that only media of a certain qualty gets optimal performance out of their unit...thats not to say that you cant use other meida...you are just locked at a speed that Pioneer consider to be suitable for un-rated media,so that it has less chances of failing. If you dont like Pioneer's practices...support another manufacturer..no-one is saying yo have to stick to Pioneer.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 07:29 AM
Veteran

hazad

As you rightly said...

If you guys wanna burn on crap media go for it...

Thats what it all boils down to choice... I have a stack of Apple media here so I do go for quality, but as you will have read I also really rate a un-endorsed product that is available on this forum and I would like to see for myself if it would stand up to a 2x burn. If it didnt then theres always the drop down tab that lets you select 1x to fall back on.... do you see?