CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 22, 2002, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Whats the point of SVCD

sponsored links

As someone who's new to the game of VCD's and SVCD's, i haven't seen the difference.

But i would like to know is, what sort of things should i look out for in SVCD's and VCD's, i know about the multi-coloured squares at the start (or blank full screen), and an SVCD won't do that, but as far as picture and sound quality go, whats the difference?

I have been told by a few people that an SVCD is better, but as you say, it takes longer...How much longer?

Anyway, i would appreiciate it if someone could fill me in about the differences between them both.

Thanks,
Rob
Old Mar 22, 2002, 11:41 PM

How much longer? LOL Depends on what you use

With my Athlon 1600, I can encode SVCD faster than doing VCD by using CCE for SVCD encode and tmpgenc for VCD

And btw, 40 minutes of video in one cd? MMM, have u heard about VBR encoding? I guess not!!! With VBR, I can encode a whole movie like let's say 120 mins (2 hours) in 2 cds in a good and way better quality than VCD.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 03:47 AM

That sounds good Paulcat. Does your end result work on a home DVD player? Also what Bitrate do you use to get 2 hours of SVCD on 2 cds

cheers bub
Old Mar 23, 2002, 04:28 PM

I recently got the first Austin Powers movie on SVCD and if it weren't for the fact that it's split up on 2 discs, and lacks a menu, I would not be able to tell the difference from my SVCD and the actual DVD on my television... so basically, if it's a well done SVCD, it's the way to go. I have seen some really well done VCDs, but never one which I could mistake as a real DVD while in the middle of play.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 05:17 PM

mate for me the best thing about svcd is the way you dont get bad blocks on colours. for eample a shot of a dark colour with vcd will break up, svcd even at lower bit rates (i dont do anything under 2000 though) doesn't. i think this is to do with the resolution, not sure. if i'm going to rip a dvd i'll do it to svcd, once you start with svcd it's hard to go back to vcd.
also is it me or is this new interest in svcd all down to people seeing that lotr rip?
Old Mar 23, 2002, 06:34 PM

bub1, that depends. If i were to use CBR encoding, I would use bitrate not lower than 2000K but using VBR, I can use about 2200 or even higher to fit in the same amount of cds that CBR can.

VBR works like it allocates for bits to a scene that is complex ie action and put less bits to scenes that dont need thats why it is better and can fit to 1 or 2 cds a whole movie

And without BLOCKS like VCD does

YEs, my Apex and Malata DVD players play them all without a problem. I even reduce the sound to 128K to have more room for video. Whether I use 1200-3500K for bitrate, I dont find any problems playing it on my player