CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:31 PM

Question Help Please

sponsored links

Hi all. I have a couple of svcds that I have just got. I tried them on my standalone dvd player and they do not work on there. I try them on my pc and it doesnt work. I think this is because I need a special program to play my svcd. Can anyone give me a link or tell me which program to use to play these svcds? THANX IN ADVANCE
Old Mar 24, 2002, 01:30 AM
Veteran

not all dvd standalone players play svcds

try www.vcdhelp.com to see if it is compatable

i think you need windvd to play svcds on the pc
Old Mar 24, 2002, 04:15 AM
Veteran

vcd`s use .mpeg 1 files compressed with .mpeg 1 codec(compressor/decompressor)

svcd`s use .mpeg 2 files compressed with .mpeg 2 codec (compressor/decompressor)
as tafsir says you need a player that has the .mpeg 2 codec or an .mpeg 2 codec for the player that you may already have on your system.
similarly if you have any other file ie. divx3/4/5, rm, wm, etc. you wish to play you will need the codec on your system for that file to play it.

here is an extract from a codec page, hope it helps :-

AVI: Audio/Video Interleave (Microsoft)
MPG,MPEG,M1V,MP2,MP3,MPA,MPE,MPV2: Moving Pictures Experts Group
RM,RA,RAM: RealAudio/RealVideo (RealNetworks)
ASF,WMA,WMV: Windows Media (Microsoft)
IVF: Intel Video Technology (Ligos)
VIV: Vivo video
MOV: QuickTime (Apple)
VQF: VQF Digital Audio
Audio/Video Interleave File
The AVI file is defined by Microsoft. It is the most widely used audio/video format on Windows platforms. However it is not at all the easiest file to play. Because it is not compressed with one specific codec, rather it is a file that can be compressed (or completely uncompressed) with any one of hundreds of codecs (examples: DivX, MPEG-4v2, Indeo 3.2, I263, Cinepak etc.).
MPEG File
These files are a series of evolving Video/Audio standards:

MPEG-1: A video standard (quality slightly worse than VHS) widely used Video-CD and CD-i media.
MPEG Audio Layer-3 (MP3): This audio compression technology is capeable of compressing CD-Quality audio by a factor of 12 with almost no quality loss. MPEG Audio Layer-1 and MPEG Audio Layer-2 are the previous versions of MP3.
MPEG-2: This video standard (very high quality) is used on DVD discs and Digital TV broadcasts.
MPEG-4: This is a new version of the previous MPEG standards. It is designed for streaming of multimedia data over a wide range of bit rates.
RealAudio/RealVideo File
This is the current alternative to the new Microsoft Windows Media file formats. It is ment for streaming live or pre-recorded contents over the internet. That be video or audio (audio used by many internet radiostations). However it is also possible to play a RealAudio or RealVideo file directly from your own computer (it'll stream it from your harddrive or cd or whereever).
Windows Media File
These are the new Microsoft file formats to be streamed over the internet (or from your own harddrive). An ASF (Advanced Streaming Format) file can contain Video, Audio, Slide Shows and synchronized events. WMA (Windows Media Audio) contains audio. WMV (Windows Media file with Audio/Video) is the same as the ASF except it can be downloaded instead of streamed from a server far away.
Intel Video Technology
These files are encoded using the Indeo codec orginally developed by Intel. However since then Ligos ( www.ligos.com ) has taken over the development of the Intel codecs.
Vivo video File
This is an old format and pretty bad quality, but one of the first to be designed and used for internet streaming and thus it is still in use in a few areas. However be carefull with it, because it is said that it isn't very compatible with current browser standards, mainly because development on the format ceased back in 1997.
QuickTime File
These are files for Apples rich media player, which supports a wide range of formats (Indeo, MP3, H.263, H.262, Sorenson Video 1 and 2, Cinepak etc.). MOV and QT is the exact same file format, however MOV is the most used format today. There is also two more file formats used in conjunction with Apples Quicktime player: QTX and QTR, these are expansion modules to the player itself, much like windows codecs are contained in DLL files these files are like the Macintosh DLL format.
In Windows it is rather easy to play an AVI file IF you have the correct codec installed. There is a whole lot of Windows applications available that can play AVI files. The most widely used being Microsofts own Windows Media Player available through their website:
www.microsoft.com
If you do not have the codec needed to play the file Windows Media Player will not be able to play it (It might be able to play the audio stream within the file while no images will be showed).