CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:50 AM

Default List of Games PS-X-CHANGE wont boot

sponsored links

I've heard that ps-x-change has probs w/booting multi-disk games eg. MGS, BUT what about other single-disk games? I ask bec. my x-change cd works fine, but last night copied PacMan World, and it simple won't boot. know it's not the burn. is there any work around this? or a master list out there w/ US games that don't boot using x-change?

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2002, 04:36 AM
Veteran

I know that Harry Potter does'nt work either!

I did hear that they're was something that you could do, But dont know what it is?

Anyone?
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:56 AM

You can get harry potter to work by using the importplayer alpha from megagames. Just set the mod and anti mod functions on and it boots fine.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 10:29 AM

Default tracks

I remember reading about games that have more than 1 audio track (majority only have 1) won't boot using ps-x-change. last night I checked by using the music cd function of the PSX and it says there are 26 audio tracks for PacMan! Checked some other games and there's only 1 track. I read a work around for this a while ago, but cannot find the post. Does anyone know?
Old Mar 26, 2002, 03:31 PM

Here is your work around as it was posted. I cannot give credit or do not know who wrote it as I did not copy that info. But this is what I saved for my records. I only tried this once and the only thing that i did was break the little compressor tab that came with my psxchange. Did you try the Importplayer boot disc? It may be copy protection and have nothing to do with the number of tracts. (Just a thought)

"I have found what we have been looking for, but I need you guys to test it. Ok, there are a lot of copied and import games that will not work with PS-X-Change and even I have some that would not work correctly with PS-X-Change version 2 because they have multiple data or audio tracks instead of only one. Some of these games include Breath of Fire IV (2 data tracks), WipeOut XL (11 Audio Tracks), and others. WipeOut XL would not even load past the opening FMV. Well, I have found a way to trick the playstation into thinking your boot disk has more than its one track, thereby fixing the problem! This multiple track thing is why I feel other games have not worked as well (harry potter, etc). Here we go, here is how I made it work:
Ok, You need a PS-X-Change boot disk, the copied game, and a real PSX game. The real PSX game must have the SAME OR MORE tracks as the copied or import game you want to play. I used the first disk of Street Fighter Collection, as it has 72 tracks.
* The way you can test your real games to see how many tracks they have is to boot the playstation without a game, and run the cd player. Next, open the cover (or if you have the PS-X-Change spring already in, remove the spring.) Finally, insert the real game and either close the cover or insert the spring again. The cd will spin, and you will see how many tracks the game has, as the cd player will display this info. Once you have found an applicable real playstation game, here are the steps to playing the copied game:

1. Open the lid and make sure the spring is inserted and no game is in the playstation. Turn the playstation on and go to the CD-player.
2. remove the spring, insert the real playstation game, and re-insert the spring. Make sure the cd spins and the tracks information appears in the cd player.
3. Now, once the cd comes to a stop, insert the PS-X-Change disk. Do not mess with the play controls, simply highlight "Exit" and select it.
4. The CD should spin and the playstation should load the boot disk. When PS-X-Change asks you to insert the import game, insert the copied or import and press start like it says.
5. The game should now load correctly!

Ok, now some words of advice; A real game with the same amount of tracks as the game you want to play is what you really want, but if it has more than the game you want to play there are some stipulations.
1. Do not mess with the in-game CD player, as it will think that there are more audio tracks than there really are. With WipeOut, as long as I worked within the 11 Audio tracks it was fine, but as I moved on up the "songs" passed eleven, it allowed me to, but it glitched and eventually froze the game.
2. I do not know how this will affect games with random CD Audio options (again like WipeOut XL) We will just have to see if the game will try to load audio tracks that aren't really there.
3. This should NOT affect games with extra data tracks, only audio.
4. To reiterate, if you leave the in game CD player alone, I think you should be fine!

If it is an import that will not run with PS-X-Change, simply use it to boot itself! Follow my guidlines accept use the same game to both trick the playstation into thinking there are more tracks there AND to insert once you have booted with PS-X-Change. Theoretically this should work, but it is possible that doing this will also trick the playstation into thinking the bootdisk is from outside you region, which would NOT be good! I hope that works as well, but I don't have an import to test.
The reason you have to use a real PSX game and not a copy or audio CD is because the playstation will only sense a real PSX game in the CD player and then activate the game once you select "exit", not a copy or music cd.
I need you guys out there to test this! It worked great for me, and made me a very happy camper Please test this and post your results in this thread. Also spread the word, as I cannot post this to every PSX game backup messageboard in the world. And, this should work with all boot disks, not just the PS-X-Change. Thanks"
Old Mar 27, 2002, 01:36 PM

Thanks knarf! this is exactly what i was looking for. great explaination on this post as well. Now i just have to get an original w/ more tracks than Pacman's 26 and I'll be all set!