CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 17, 2002, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Default I know IPs are easy to find but..read in

sponsored links

I know its quite easy to trace someone on the Internet. But how easy is it to trace an email.
What I mean is, if I send a mail from my PC using HOTMAIL. How easy is it for anyone to trace it to my PC.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 08:33 AM

Talking

Why, what are you upto??

Only Joking!. I would imagine, like most ISP's MSN will log the I.P address of anybody accessing their servers. Although there was once a program appealing to the public for the identity of a suspected Murderer from his Email address - which was a Hotmail one!!.

If Scotland Yard can't trace a Suspected Murderer from Logs, I think that you may be safe

Unless you are out to rip anybody off, are a terrorist, or about to Hack into Bill Gates' P.C - Why Worry?.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 09:14 AM
Veteran

No no...I better explain. I'm not trying to rip anyone off. My friend was selling I** dIG***L CARDS and used a hotmail account for his mail. He has stopped now but we were just discussing how risky it had or had not been.
Purely an interest only. No intention of doing anything dodgy myself.
Thanks for your reply
Old Jan 21, 2002, 03:41 AM
Veteran

It is possible to trace an IP from an email address be it an online or ISP account or other pop mail, using the finger command.
If youve sent a mail to someone your ip will be shown if show full headers is enabled

Last edited by uk_trader; Jan 21, 2002 at 06:20 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 03:20 AM
Veteran

If you logged into hotmail using an anonymous proxy then that is the IP that would apear in the header... otherwise, as said it is your IP.