CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 30, 2002, 06:11 AM
Veteran

Angry More problems and confusion using DJ for DC

sponsored links

OK, I have yet to burn a working copy of a DC game using DJ, using 3 different versions of DJ, and 2 different PC with 2 different burners. I burned ONE usable backup of the Utopia disc - but that was with Nero.

Burners I've used: HP 8250i and a Sony (not my PC, so I don't know the model but it was new last May)

Versions of DJ I've tried: 3.50.700, 3.50.800, & 3.50.830

Discs: Verbatim DataLifes & ValuLifes

Now here's where the confusion comes in (games are d/l by the way) ... first I've been told that you can't change the settings for pre-ripped games, then I was told you could ??? so that's question #1

As for the settings in the advance tab: I have read and been told so many variations of the proper settings to use under the Advanced tab, it's making my head spin. Audio, Mode 1, Mode 2 ... 2352, 2040, 2036 block sizes ... Question #2 - So which is right?

I would think that at least 1 of the burners should be compatible. Both have pretty much the same features except one supports RAW 16 and the other RAW 96. It isn't likely to be DJ b/c I tried 3 different versions and have friends who have used the same versions successfully. I can't see it being the DC b/c the Utopia disc works as do 3 backups I received with the console (2 being self-boot). Now before I hang myself or chuck the DC out the window and stick with my old PSX, can anyone shed some light on the settings, etc? Thanx in advance.

*EDIT: I have now burned my 2nd successful disc, this time with Fireburner. This leads me to believe that: (1) neither burner is compatible with DJ (unlikely I thought) OR (2) You -can- change the settings as some have said and I have yet to find the right settings.

BTW - Using CDI2Nero didn't help me much either. When trying to burn the converted image, I kept getting an error from Nero "Burn process failed. DAO could not be started." I've also heard that the converted images are often corrupted during the conversion.

Last edited by 420; Mar 30, 2002 at 06:48 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 07:03 AM

Have you checked in Control Panel>>System>>Device Manager, and in the properties of your writer "Disconnect", "sync data transfer" and "dma" should be enabled, "auto insert notification" disabled.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 08:57 AM

If I remember right some people using your model burner had to use the [url=********megagames.com/console/cgi-bin/dldc.cgi?jinxter_dj_driver!zip]Jinxter drivers from www.dccopyworld.com to get DJ to work properly. Your burner is not 100% compatible and these drivers are generic drivers that have been known to help.

As far as the settings go you should never have to change them when burning anything with DJ. If you are burning from an image file it will get the settings from the header of the .cdi image. If you are burning on the fly it will also recognize the settings from the source disc. The only setting I think can be changed and effect the outcome is RAW. Some people have checked that and gotten it to work.

[img]***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/imgs/jams.gif[/img]
Old Mar 30, 2002, 10:54 AM

As for your Nero problem, make sure you have the most recent version of Nero.. any games that refuse to burn when writing with DAO, change to DAO/96 and it should work.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 06:30 PM
Veteran

Thanx for the suggestions ... yep, I have all the settings right for the burner in COntrol Burner, same as they've alwasy been. I knew about the Jinxster driver but I haven't tried it yet; will do that. The version of Nero I'm using doesn't allow me to change from DAO to DAO96, newer versions do I guess? Still seems strange that the Sony won't burn them either though ... I'll have to check the model # next time I'm on that person's PC

BTW - with the Nero problem ... both burners support DAO ... DAO-error problem is only when trying to burn the converted CDI images.

Last edited by 420; Mar 30, 2002 at 06:32 PM.