CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 08, 2002, 03:49 PM

Unhappy tdk cyclone 32/10/40 problem drive not detected in WIN XP half of the time!

sponsored links

I am having some strange troubles with my tdk cylone cd writer.

It seems to be very tempremental i.e sometimes windows finds it abd I can use it/burn cd's without any trouble. Then after a reboot i cannot open the drive with the button and windows can not find it at all. this causes windows to boot slowly with the HD light constantly on.

The only way I can get it working correctly after this has happened is to physically turn the power off at the back of the computer for 30 seconds and then turn it back on again.

My system specs are as follows:

win XP pro, ABIT KT7A MOBO, 800 TBIRD, 512ram, Geforce 2 gts, Maxtor 20gig HDD.

I was wondering if anyone else with a cyclone has had similar problems with a similar type of configuration as I have tried the drive with an intel p2 system and it seemed to work fine.

BTW I am running the latest BIOS, firmware and via 4 in 1 drivers and latest version of nero.

If anyone cna help me out please do this is driving me NUTS!!!!

cheers
Old Apr 09, 2002, 11:49 PM
Veteran

Are you using or is DirectCD installed?
If so stop it form loading at startup and only load it when you need to use it.
The only other thing I can think of is a loose cable, or maybe try disabling Autoplay
***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=27788
Old Apr 10, 2002, 02:06 AM

well Im using INcd which came with Nero. Dont fret though..I think i may have fixed it....I installed teh lates aspi drivers from adaptec ...since then its worked fine
Old May 02, 2002, 12:12 PM

Why on earth did I speak so soon!!!

strangely I did a search on google for the problem Im having with my writer and my own forum post was on the top of the list I almost forgot about my post.

Alas my problem with my cd writer is still the same....... It even forgets the drive is there in windows after I have been using it for a couple of hours and nearly kills my system as somehow it affects the hard drive (light decides to be permanently on) and my system then just crawls along...

I really have tried everything i can think of bar reinstalling windows xp and formatting my HDD which Im not over enthuisiastic about doing as its all set up just how i like it

If anyone else has had similar problems please post here... surely im not the only one...

cheers
Old May 02, 2002, 12:30 PM
suspended

m8, when your system was crawling, did you have a packet-writing formatted disc in the burner? When you reboot the system without any disc in the burner, does the system crawl?
Old May 02, 2002, 12:59 PM

Nope i just had a normal burnt cdr in there. I very rarely use any packet writing software such as incd that comes with nero.

I was installing a game the other day and 3/4 of the way through the installation it stopped and low and behold my cd drive had pissed off somewhere...lol

I'll have to give it a few tries without any cds in there when booting ....right now its working fine again...but half hour ago i had to switch it off at the mains to fix the problem