CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 19, 2002, 09:52 AM

Default probed by bt internet

sponsored links

can somebody please help me. i have black ice firewall i nstalled along with norton's anti virus running windows 98se. even with running the latest update of black ice i keep getting probed by bt internet, even though i have blocked them forever i still keep getting a probe from them. i have tryed closing all open ports, but it seems bt have found same that are still open.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 01:31 PM

Cool

Don't worry, black ice defender is doing it's job - the world and his mother can probe you if they can detect your ip address, black ice is doing the right thing in letting you know that you're being probed - but the main thing is it's not making any response to the probe - so as far as bt are concerned you don't exist at that address and no ports are available. If you're worried about black ice's capability go to this address;

********grc.com/

if it shows you have any open or vunerable ports, then I suggest you use Zone Alarm, which free and very good, or Norton Personal FireWall which isn't free and is also very good.

Last edited by kasimir the great; Jan 19, 2002 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 06:27 PM
Veteran

Of course if you want to know why you should be worried about Blackice then you should go to another page at GRC ********grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
Old Jan 20, 2002, 07:59 AM
suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Demo [/i]
[B]Of course if you want to know why you should be worried about Blackice then you should go to another page at GRC ********grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm [/B]

Yeah Demo, I stopped using BlackIce after reading that report at GRC on it.

Agree with you 100% about Zone Alarm, sadly a lot of people think that because it's free it can't be any good. When in reality it's the best IMHO.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 10:14 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

I agree. I would say ZoneAlarm is the best!!! But for some real testing of your system I would try

[URL=***********.dslreports.com/scan]DSL Report Shield probe. At best Shields Up test will give you about 14 hits on za but dsl will give 500 hits and you can do one by e-mail which I haven't tried yet. Best part it's free.

Last edited by NotAHacker; Jan 20, 2002 at 10:29 AM.