CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 15, 2002, 05:04 AM
Administrator

sponsored links

winoncd 3.6 tutorial by Diskdude

guide for unprotected games

[list=1][*]-In the start menu or wherever your winoncd.exe is, click on it.[*]-The first window will appear, cilck on cd copy.(make sure the psx disk is in your reader and a blank is in your writer)[*]-If you know that the game has no errors on it click the tick box for on the fly (it most probably will be ticked anyway) and if your doubtful, click the "simulate and write if successful box".[*]-If your cdrom is a damn site faster than your writer, set the writer to its fastest speed in the speed box. If it isn't then set it lower than the fastest speed otherwise a bufferunderun will occur which basically means that the cdrom didn't pass the data to the writer in time and you will have wasted a disc.[*]-Then press record[*]-If the disc does have errors on it then make sure the on the fly box is unticked, and set your writer ro max speed.[*]-click on write immediately and click record.[*]-when the window appears tick the box that says keep track images after recording incase there is a problem, then press ok.[*]-The psx game will now transfer to the hard drive and when the findow appears saying error click ignore all.[*]-The disc will finish reading eventually then it will write.[*]-the window "operation completed successfully" will appear click ok.[*]-Out comes your backup. TA DA.[/list=1]

[thank you diskdude]
Old Apr 15, 2002, 05:05 AM
Administrator

[bouncing][bouncing][bouncing]
The Psyches e-z guide to using cdrwin

As you are using cdrwin you are on to a winner from the start. Here is your step by step guide
to easy BACKING-UP. Before starting make a folder on your hard drive and call it the same as
your game e.g. (c:\) soulreaver and click enter once you have named it (same as you would
with any new folder you create.
[list=1][*]insert your original Playstation game into your cd-reader[*]start cdrwin[*]select extractdisk/track/sectors[*]in extract mode choose "discimage/cuesheet"[*]choose you cd-reader i.e. 1:1:0 [*]in READING OPTIONS select RAW[*]set ERROR RECOVERY to ignore[*]in IMAGE FILENAME type in the name of the folder you have created e.g. c:\soulreaver\soulreaver[*]click START[*]in a short while you will now have an image file and a cuesheet in that folder, these will be soulreaver.cue and soulreaver.bin. You will notice if you right click the .bin file that it is the same size as your game i.e. 611MB[*]unzip the patch that you have downloaded into the folder soulreaver. [*]open up the folder and you will now notice that it has more files on it. There are now 3 ways of applying the patch depending on the type of patch i.e. PDX or PPF. If it is a PDX there are two ways to do this.

A: open up the dos-prompt cd c:\soulreaver enter so that the directory you are in is c:\soulreaver. When this is done type in the command line of the patch e.g. PDX-SRUK.EXE soulreaver.bin and then enter. Remember that you will have to check the .exe file name, as they are all different, this info is available from the site that you got the patch from and is usually the name on the file. The screen will now tell you that the patch has worked.

B: when you open up the folder with all the files in it double click on the .EXE file and it will ask you the name of the IOS file or the .BIN file, type in c:\soulreaver\soulreaver.bin then enter the patch has worked method should now be shown.

C: If the file has a .PPF extension then you will need to get hold of a copy of PPF-O-MATIC, this is available from most Psx help sites to download. Using it could not be easier, just type in or find the PPF file and the .bin file in the box's provided and click start.
[*]To 'burn' or record the disk in cdrwin click "record disk" make sure that your recorder is selected in the CDROM recorder box[*]Click LOADCUESHEET and find the file that you want e.g. c:\soulreaver.cue[*]Click "start recording" and in about half-hour or so you'll have a working BACK-UP assuming that your Playstation has a modchip or like.[*]load your disk into the Playstation and play your arse off! If you need patches then go to either www.psxstuff.co.uk or www.megagames.com follow the links on the message boards[/list=1]

If the game you are backing up does not need to be patched then just go through steps 1-10 and steps 13-16, hope this helps you out there
ENJOY,
THE PSYCHES
[bouncing][bouncing][bouncing]

[thank you The Psyches]
Old Apr 15, 2002, 05:05 AM
Administrator

CHECK OUT THESE LINKS TO SEE IF YOUR CDWRITER IS SUPPORTED BY THESE POPULAR
PROGRAMS.

IT SHOULD BE UNDERSTOOD THAT ONLY THE LATEST VERSION OF THE PROGRAMS MAY SUPPORT
YOUR MODEL.

Blindread ********blindread.free.fr/writerslist.htm

Cdrwin ***********.goldenhawk.com/devices_body.htm

Clonecd ********home.onet.co.uk/~cloneclinic/hardware.htm

Diskjuggler ***********.padus.com/hardware.htm

Ezcd creator ********cdr.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/cdrmain.cgi

Fireburner ***********.fireburner.com/rankings.htm

Nero ***********.ahead.de/en/Recorder.htm

PSXCopy 6.2 ********psxboost.hypermart.net/psxcuk.htm

Winoncd ***********.cequadrat.de/english/products/winoncd_3e.html

[thank you The Proxy Hunter]
Old Apr 15, 2002, 05:06 AM
Administrator

An interesting post by wild willie on CD Recorder recommendations:

I got this list from fireburner
check it out it might help you decide

IgD's Recorder Rankings
"Which recorder should I buy?"

If you have been following FireBurner from its earliest beginnings, you know that I have spent a lot of hours working with lots of different drives. I have also spent a lot of time communicating (or trying to communicate) with the companies that make these drives. On top of all this, I have received thousands of e-mails from people all over the world complaining about their recorders.

Below, I'm going to give you the advice I give to my friends and family when helping them purchase a recorder. I'm also going to tell you my own biased opinion as to which drives I like and which drives I do not

Feel free to e-mail me and let me know what your take is on my rankings

When shopping for a CD-R/W drive here are the things that you should look for:

Brand? Historically the best writers have been Plextor and Yamaha. As a general rule, stick with those companies and you can not go wrong. These companies are known for high quality products and good customer support. The brands to avoid are JVC and Sony recorders. These have been notoriously bad drives.

Speed? Get at least a 4X writer. Most new writers support this so you shouldn't have to worry about it. It takes approximately 20 minutes to burn a CD at this speed.

Interface? SCSI drives are better obviously because they require less CPU overhead and are thus more stable during the burning process. They are also slightly more expensive If you plan to do a lot of burning (>30 CD's per month) or wish to do heavy multi-tasking while you are burning you should a buy SCSI drive. If you do not have a SCSI card, I highly recommend Adaptec cards. Contrary to popular belief, a SCSI burner is no faster than an IDE one. The speed bottleneck has to do with how fast the laser can burn your media. It has nothing to do with the speed of the data interface.
Avoid parallel port and USB recorders.

DAO, SAO or TAO? Ideally you want a drive that supports both Session at once (SAO) aka "SEND CUE SHEET" and Disk at once (DAO) aka "RAW". Most new drives support SAO only. One important difference is that DAO allows duplication of some copy protection schemes while SAO does not. Another key difference is that SAO burning requires far less CPU overhead. With DAO, the software is responsible for performing a lot of heavy calculations that the hardware of a SAO drive does. The main point here is to avoid Track at once (TAO) drives. In TAO the drive's laser powers down in between tracks. This results in a mandoatory 2 second pause in between tracks and can be annoying when playing burned audio CD's.
FOR EXPANDED INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE CHECK OUT THE EDITORIALS SECTION.

Overburning? 80 minute CD support? Overburning refers to the capability of a drive to burn a few more minutes of data onto a CD over the media's certification. For example, sometimes you might want to put 75 minutes of data onto a 74 minute CD. You can purchase 80 minute blank media. It is nice to have a recorder that supports these CD's One form of copy protection is to make a CD that is larger than 64 or 80 minutes. If you are trying to duplicate a CD like this and your recorder does not support Overburning or 80 minute CD's, you are out of luck.

RW? The rewrite function really is not that great. You have to format CD's to erase them. This takes 20 minutes for a 4x re-writer. Blank RW media is more expensive than normal media. In my opinion, RW media is not worth the hassle since normal media costs < $1 per CD.

New or used? Warranty? Obviously it is desirable to purchase a new drive. Be smart when you are cruising the internet auction sites. The average life expectancy of a recorder is approximately 1-2 years. If you are a heavy burner (>30 CD's per month) the life expectancy would be closer to 1 year. Avoid used drives that are older than 1-2 years. When buying new look for a 1-2 year warranty. Do not plan on paying for your drive to be repaired when it dies. It generally costs more to replace a drive than it does to buy a new one.

My classification system consists of 5 stars.
The best drives get
Currently no drive gets the top ranking because none deserve it! To get a 5 star ranking, a recorder needs to be able to put any data desired onto a blank CD. There is no drive on the market that can do this that I am aware of. This feature would allow duplication of any copy protected CD. A lot of copy protection schemes rely on "bad sectors" on CD's that most recorders can not write. Sometimes I wonder if this is some kind of industry conspiracy. Most recorders seem to auto-correct errors thus preventing burning of "bad sectors".

[b]Yamaha "Yammy"[/b]
Yamaha makes great IDE and SCSI recorders. Yamaha has a great web page as well as technical and developer support. I have been extremely pleased with the quality of these drives. Yammy drives are perfect for those who like to burn heavily. Yamaha drives do not support DAO aka "RAW" writing and only support SAO aka "SEND CUE SHEET". Yamaha may implement DAO aka "RAW" sometime in the future. I have personally verified this with Yamaha Developer Support.

[b]Plextor[/b]
Like the Yamaha recorders, Plextor quality is great. Few people complain about them. Plextor drives are also perfect for those who like to burn heavily. The Plextor web site has good content and support seems good. Plextor Developer Support is excellent. The current production drive models do not support "RAW" burning in FireBurner.

[b]Teac[/b]
Teac recorders are great just like the Yamaha and Plextor recorders. Developer support is great too!

[b]Mitsumi [/b]
Mitsumi drives get 3 stars from me. The drives seem pretty stable. This company had a negative repuation during '99 because they were still selling TAO drives while everyone else was making DAO/SAO drives. This frustrated a lot of people. Lately, Mitsumi seems to be doing a lot to improve their repuation. The new Mitsumi drives support DAO aka "RAW" and from user comments they seem pretty reliable. I haven't heard anything about product support so I can not comment. In the past I have not been pleased with their developer support.

[b]Hewlett-Packard "HP"[/b]
HP drives seem to be manufactured by Sony or Philips. HP has excellent developer support and technical support. The HP web page contains a lot of useful information. HP drives are available in both SCSI and IDE flavors. The problem with HP drives is that most of their drives do not support overburning. I have received a lot of e-mail messages complaining about this. HP drives are inexpensive and great for those just starting out.

[b]Panasonic[/b]
If I have my facts straight, Panasonic manufacturers these drives but does not market or support them directly. Most of their recorders seem to supported and marketed by a company called ACS Compro. Their drives are decent and inexpensive. Some of their drives do not support RW. I have had a few negative personal experiences with ACS Compro. My brother had a 7502 drive that failed soon after purchase and we found ourselves in a situation where no one would reply to our e-mails or phone messages to the the support answering machine. Finally we got an RMA and it took about a month to get the drive repaired

[b]Ricoh[/b]
I don't have a lot of experience with Ricoh drives. I hear good comments and bad comments about these recorders. These drives get a neutral rating from me. The older ones do not support the MMC. Purchase at your own risk

[b]Philips[/b]
Philips gets 2 stars. If I have my facts straight, Philips actually has made drives for HP like the old HP 71xx and 72xx series. Philips drives seem to be more popular in Europe than in the USA. From what I have seen this company does not have a good repuation among CD-R/W enthusiasts. Apparently Philips has also been the target of a class action lawsuit filed by some angry customers. I have to give Philips the benefit of the doubt and say that I have not had tons of experience with their drives and company. I will tell you one thing, you won't want to pull into your garage with your girlfriend and try to impress her with one of these

[b]Acer[/b]
This is another line of drives that I do not have a lot of experience with. I hear mostly negative comments about these recorders. I would not want to own one of these. Purchase at your own risk

[b]Sony[/b]
In the CD-R/W community, Sony has a negative image. I personally dislike their drives. I have received numerous complaints via e-mail about Sony products. Recently a lot of these complaints have been about their new USB CD-R. Others have been about older drives and lack of firmare support. I have received a lot of e-mails complaining that Sony does not put firmware updates on their web page. Maybe I'm biased and misinformed but I would avoid these drives. To top it all of, many of Sony's older recorders do not conform to the Multimedia Command Set (MMC).

[b]JVC[/b]
JVC is another recorder maker that gets only 1 star. They have a reputation for low quality recorders. I would avoid these drives too. JVC drives are also notorius for not conforming to the MMC command set.

[b]Smart and Friendly[/b]
I'm putting SAF down here not because of poor quality but because (if my understanding is correct) this company does not manufacture their own recorders. Apparently SAF merely rebadges drives made by other companies. These drives get a custom firmware with SAF manufacturer and product ID strings.

[thank you Wild Willies PSX]
Administrator

Just a couple of quick notes.....your spot on with Acer. You did not mention Creative.. their drives suck big time and most will not copy psx games. JVC drives are manufactured by Smart and Friendly, hence they suck as well.

A lot of Panasonic drives are sold as Matshita (japanese panasonic).
I have a Matshita CW-7502 scsi and have had no problems whatsoever.

Keep up the good work.

[thank you Andrew67]
Administrator

I agree with acers as well, STAY AWAY.
Id like to add iomegaZIP cd 6501 to the good side, Since I knew what I was doing it hasnt givin me any coasters & has been compatible with all the software that ive tried, which iz just about everthing besides that fireburner or whatever its called, i've had no need to try it yet. Plus the drive is one of the least expensive that i've seen.

[thank you can'tthinkofaname]