CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 15, 2002, 04:07 AM
Administrator

sponsored links

Submitted by TopGeezer, very useful nfo:CDR And Win2k

Many users people have problems setting up their CDR into Win2k OS. Below are some tips which help you install and operate smooth. You can always submit your info our E-mail is open!

- Software that works under Win2k:

[b]
CDR Related:
CloneCD latest versions
Ez CD Creator v4.02
Nero v4.0.91 (download updated WNASPI32.DLL file). Also check this page
Nero v5.0
CDRWin v3.8a
FireBurner v1.06
Padus DiscJuggler all versions
Prassi PrimoCD Plus/Pro
WinOnCD v3.7

CDR/W Related:
DirectCD v3.01
[/b]

- Possible Problems and how deal with them

[list=1][*]ASPI Problems:
Win2k doesn't include ASPI layer. Therefore you need to install one. Adaptec ASPI Layer seems as the best solution (for now). You can also use a freeware ASPI layer. Both files can be found in our Utils Section.

There is a slight problem if you don't have already installed the Adaptec's ASPI layer. The updater ,for latest version, will deny to go further and you will not be able again to upgrade. There are two solutions for this <problem>:

a) Download the SCSI Mechanic Demo from Utils Section . In setup you will be asked if you want to install the ASPI Layer. After installing ASPI Layer use the Adaptec's updater program and you will have the latest ASPI Layer installed in your system.

b) Head over to the following site and follow instructions.

[*]Enable/Disable "Auto Insert Notification" for all Devices:
- First, you must logon as administrator.
- Go to "Start" > "run" and enter "regedit" in the box. Click ok, then then click on the following sequence:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Cdrom > Autorun.
- Doubleclick on it, and set the desired value, "0" for disabled and "1" for enabled. The changes won't apply until you reboot.

[*]Enable/Disable DMA for all IDE Devices:
- Go to "Start"> "Settings"> "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Computer Managment" > "Device Manager" > "IDE / ATA / ATAPI" > "Controllers".
- Do now just doubleclick on the device you want to change the DMA option.
- Now go to > "Advanced Settings" > "Transfer Mode".

[*]Enable/Disable Sync Data Tranfer for all SCSI Devices:
- Go to "Start" > "run" and enter "regedit" in the box. Click ok, then click on the following sequence:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\[DEVICENAME]\Paramerters
where [DEVICENAME] is the SCSI adapter in question. Under this key, you'll apparently find "DisableSynchronousTransfers" key. Simple change it to "EnableSynchronousTransfers".[/list=1]

[thank you TopGeezer]
Administrator

ISO Download & Burning FAQ - Written by STeALtH

There seem to be lot's of people asking questions about downloading and burning PSX ISO files, so here goes.......

There is a folder dedicated to PSX ISO sites on this forum, and the address of the page is: ***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/002660.html

So now that you have found a site that contains a game ISO that you want, what do you do next?

Well as we all know PSX games can be large, up to 650Mb in size, that would be a ridiculous size file to try and download so they are split into different, smaller files using (normally), WinAce or WinRar which are compression programs along the same lines as Winzip, but more efficient. These are called volumes, and once de-compressed after downloading will join together to form the actual game ISO. WinAce is probably the best program to use as it also handles WinRar files.

[b]Winrar[/b] is available from: ***********.rarsoft.com/

[b]WinAce[/b] is available from: ***********.winace.com

Actually downloading the files is quite straightforward, but they are not always direct links, sometimes the files are held on storage servers like I-Drive, these often require you to register to gain access to them, this is quite painless and you also gain an extra bit of storage space for you trouble so is a good thing! Once you have registered, you may (most of the time, do), need a shared-folder password, now this should have been mentioned on the page where the ISO was listed but the norm is to use the adddress of the ISO host website, such as, www.psxiso.com this would be an example of a password to the shared-folder!

It is worth mentioning here that if you forget or lose the passwords mentioned, as has happened to some you may not be able to download the whole game and be a couple of volumes short of a picnic so to speak.

And that these passwords are also used to unlock the files you have downloaded so need to be noted.

Let's assume that you've managed to download the game in however many volumes, onto your Hard Drive, now you need to uncompress it to reveal the actual game ISO.

One of the files should be either .ace or .rar this will be the header file and will extract and link all the other volumes. Using WinAce, double click the .ace or .rar file and let the program extract it to whatever directory you have chosen, if asked for a password (which you should have written down), enter it and let the program do it's business.

At the end of the extraction process you should have a .cue file and a .bin file wherever you specified.

This is the actual .ISO of the game and can be burnt to CDR using CDRWin.

There is already a FAQ on the use of CDRWin so I'm not going to go into detail about the burning part.

What you may find is that CDRWin reports the file as not being found from the .CUE file, I had an example of this recently and will use parts of that e-mail to explain!

"When I start my CDRWIN 3.8a and try to load the CUE sheet I get the following error -
ERROR:Unable to open file " D \ BACKUP \ PSXGAMES \ SEGAMASTERSYSTEM \
SEGAMASTERSYSTEM.BIN "
D drive is my regular cdrom and E drive is my recorder."

This is because the game image was created on a different system to yours and so the image file won't match the directory that you have yours in, luckily this is easily solved.

If, for example, you downloaded the above game, which once extracted left you with an ISO called SEGAMASTERSYSTEM.BIN and you put it in a directory called ISOS on your C: drive, then the line at the top of the .cue file would need to be edited using notepad or similar to read differently and point CDRWin in the right direction for finding your copy of the .bin file, so the lines would need to be changed from:

D:\BACKUP\PSXGAMES\SEGAMASTERSYSTEM\SEGAMASTERSYST EM.BIN

to:

C:\ISOS\SEGAMASTERSYSTEM.BIN

Once the .cue file has been edited to point to the right location for the .bin file CDRWin should burn the game with no problems!

For the FAQ on using CDRWin go to this url:
***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000656.html

Hope that cleared a few things up about ISOs?

[thank you SteALtH]
Administrator

Think this is what you want.

Making dummy files:

There are many ways to make a dummy file, zipping a lot of stuff with no compression, capturing blank AVI and the like, but the best thing for making dummy files so far (I think) is a program called newfile made just for making dummy files. It is available at DCISOS.COM and at www.idrive.com/nodcisohere

Newfile is a DOS program which takes command line parameters (this means if you run it in windows, it will just end and dissapear and you will get nowhere). Run a DOS box (or actually go to DOS and navigate to the folder with newfile. Now at the command line type:

newfile <number of bytes> (newfilename)

example for a file called dummy.dat that is 610MB

newfile 610000000 dummy.dat

and in a second or two there is your huge dummy file.

BTW to figure out how bit a dummy file to make, unpack the bin file and look at how big the contents are (including subfolers) now take that number of MB and subtract from 650 or 700 depending on whether you are using a 74 or 80 min CD and thats how big the dummy file should be. (ie A 610 MB dummy file would be for a game that is 30-40MB on a 74 min CD, best to leave about 10 extra megs on the outside of the CD just to be safe)

[thank you Deve]
Old Apr 15, 2002, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Inserting a dummy file with VOB Instant CD Wizard:

To make use of your dummy file you need to unpack your bin or ISO file and get the dummy file on the CD with all the contents of the bin or ISO file. To do this you need winimage (available at zdnet.com and www.idrive.com/nodcisohere as well as many other places). Many places tell you to convert your bins to ISO using the binchunker in fireburner. This is not necessary as winimage will open a bin file, you just have to select All files (*.*) in the browser window when opening the bin file to see it.

Once the bin file is open, extract its contents to a folder.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EXTRACT, YOU CHANGE THE DEFAULT SETTING IN WINIMAGE "EXTRACT ALL FILES TO SAME FOLDER" TO "EXTRACT WITH PATHNAME"

Next copy your dummy file into that folder.

Now start up VOB ICDWizard and click the new virual CD button. Title the CD whatever you want and locate the folder with all the unpacked stuff in it. Now load the contents of the folder (including the dummy file) into the virtual CD). Once the virutal CD is done and loaded into VOB, open the virtual CD so you can see its contents. Make sure all the files are there and that you did not load the folder that you unpacked this all into (ie, if you had winimage unpack the bin into a folder called unpacked, make sure the contents of the CD are not in a folder called unpacked on the CD as well) and locate the dummy file. Right click the dummy file and select properties. Now slide the priority bar all the way to high priority, this will put the dummy file close to the inside of the disc. The click burn, I sugest 2x.

BTW if these posts make it into your FAQ can you please credit them to Devedander. I am just writing this up while I wait for my name to get fixed.

[thank you Deve]
Administrator

Courtesy of mr_skeezix:

Here's the info for making creative/memorex/smart&friendly 4x2x24 burners work for playstation back-ups. There may be other burners that are rebadged JVCs that it will work on, but I can't verify it.

Note from STeALtH: You will need to download 2 files to be able to do this, flash.exe and tez206a.hex both of which I have uploaded to a small site,
********members.xoom.com/stealth_no1/flash.exe
********members.xoom.com/stealth_no1/tez206a.hex

Run flash.exe and it will open a window with a list of the different drives on your computer. Select your burner from the list and push the "update" button. The firmware will then be downloaded to your burner, which will take a few minutes. After it is finished, it will ask if you want to restart your computer. Answer "no." Then exit out of the program and restart your computer from the start menu. When your computer restarts, it will recognize the burner as a JVC 4080. The software that came with the burner (usually NTI) will not recognize it anymore, but the new version of NTI will, and cdrwin will, also.

That's how it's done. Feel free to edit these directions if they need to make more sense. E-mail me if you need me to clarify anything.

mr_skeezix

I think we need to add that upgrading your firmware if done incorrectly can render your drive useless, it is a risky propostion and should not be taken lightly!

Neither myself, mr_skeezix or the CDROM-Guide Forums, accept any liability, in any way, for any damage caused to your drive by undertaking this procedure!

[thank you mr_skeezix and STeALtH]
Administrator

Just something Y'all should know: leave your CPU doing the job, don't go doing your homework in MS Word. Use as well the latest firmware for your writer, (available mostly at the manufactcror's website), and use the writer as well as reader to make the image. Note: firmware ain't hard- nor software, but is downloadable. It's used to reprogram some hardware in your writer, specially designed to be reprogrammed. I hope I'm right about this one, if not, don't wait to set things straight. I hope this serves The Psyches

[thank you king nero]