CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 19, 2002, 07:35 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

well i used a box of 10 cdrs from lidl or aldi, unbranded, about 3.99 ( from one of the cheap scandanavian stores) and they worked fine.
i also burned with nero and never had a problem.i used the tutorial from
www.psxcopyworld.co.uk

i think thats the right addy.
Old Apr 19, 2002, 07:43 PM
Veteran

4 quid for unbranded is a ripoff
Old Apr 20, 2002, 07:55 AM
Veteran

king nero-

OK, few things to note:

- you implied that CDRWin can duplicate the protection on PSX games, whereas it cannot If it could, there wouldn't be a need for release groups to patch most of their releases at all.

- you stated that Nero cannot do tracks under 4 seconds - also incorrect. the problem with burning tracks less than 4 seconds is more frequently than not related to your hardware (burner) not your software. however ... I have the same problem with the short audio tracks as you do but for me, it occurs with CDRWin, but NOT with Nero. so saying that Nero cannot burn these tracks is 100% incorrect also.

- The issue with the TOC makes absolutely no difference at all regarding PSX. The games will work perfectly when burned with either piece of software.

- In my experience, Nero is more stable than CDRWin, not the other way around. I believe this is a burner-compatibility issue for both us. It would be incorrect for you to say CDRWin is more stable (or for me to say the opposite) - it simply isn't true. As for reading capabilities - CDRWin has failed for me more than ANY other burning program when it comes to scratched discs (yes, software matters too people) - again, different people with different experiences.

- As for the issues with patching ... yes, CDRWin does have THAT benfit over Nero - but MANY other programs will allow you to rip a CD to BIN/CUE format. Also, if we are talking about downloaded games in BIN/CUE format, Nero can burn these just as well as CDRWin, whereas there is no way that CDRWin can burn a Nero image. And ... if you want to make your backup directly from an original, you would use CloneCD (assuming compatibility) - not Nero or CDRWin ... it would be foolish to do so.

Final word ... My opinion: Nero is a MUCH better program than CDRWin for PSX copying as well as anything else - but that's just my opinion based on experience. Facts: as listed above. Don't fabricate your own "facts" based solely on your experience. People come here to ask questions so they can learn - they'll never learn a thing if they keep getting fed misinformation like what you replied with.

p.s. don't take any of this personally, I'm just trying to set the record straight so people get the FACTS not our opinions.

Last edited by 420; Apr 20, 2002 at 07:59 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 01:05 PM
Veteran

420, i like this as much as you do, and i don't take any of this personally don't think that. I hope you don't mind if I try to sort some things out:

- you implied that CDRWin can duplicate the protection on PSX games, whereas it cannot If it could, there wouldn't be a need for release groups to patch most of their releases at all.
-->I didn't say that, I even stated cdrwin has the advantage of applying patches. You're right about that last part.

- the tracks <4 sec
-->I have proper hardware, but i believe you when you say that it is more a hardware than a software issue. I'm not going to argue with that. But i noticed CDRWin doesn't make problems about these tracks, when using correct settings (was it subcode ****ysis? i don't remember, i changed from cdrwin to nero some years ago)(which proves as well i prefer nero, as i don't use it any more).

The issue with the TOC makes absolutely no difference at all regarding PSX. The games will work perfectly when burned with either piece of software
--> I didn't say it wouldn't work, I only mentioned you have to check the option in nero. but that protection is no longer used i think, as it is too easy to overcome

-stability
--> ever tried to copy an audio disc with cdrwin? I tried it once, all i heard on the copy was noise and cracks. I don't blame it on stability, but as general issue. I know as well only few people have encountered this malfunction.
about nero, which is under normal conditions very stable ( as it never crashes) but when you misplace jumpers (master/slave position) nero doesn't recognise what it should. I know it's my mistake, i should have set the jumpers correct, but cdrwin went on copying.

- but MANY other programs will allow you to rip a CD to BIN/CUE format. Also, if we are talking about downloaded games in BIN/CUE format, Nero can burn these just as well as CDRWin, whereas there is no way that CDRWin can burn a Nero image. And ... if you want to make your backup directly from an original, you would use CloneCD (assuming compatibility) - not Nero or CDRWin ... it would be foolish to do so.

-->I used these proggies in ages clone didn't exist. So don't compare. Nowadays, you're completely right. I use clone as well. Far more betta than nero (but only when it comes to video game backup and pc games - not audio or selfcompiled data)

and finally - i didn't fed any misinformation - and i didn't stated these were facts as well - i was just giving people my opinion so they could think the whole thing over - like they should. Never rely on anyone's advice, people, try and learn yourself. but giving them something to think about is worth considering

I am waiting for a reply, 420
Old Apr 21, 2002, 01:11 AM
Veteran

lol well, now that's all cleared up, we agree on most things ... see, what I was saying is that when i try to burn < 4sec audio tracks with CDRWin, I get an error from CDRWin saying that it can't burn them but with Nero is works fine ... whereas you seem to have the opposite problem. as for the jumpers, well like u said, your fault. hehe I never misplaced a jumper so I never had that problem

anyway, I don't completely dislike CDRWin, it's a [i]decent[/i] proggy IMO ... but I only use it when I have to. Currently, I have Nero, CDRWin, CloneCD, BlindRead/Write, & Fireburner (old version b/c the new one sux) installed on my system.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 05:49 AM
Veteran

have a great time burning y'all