CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 06, 2002, 12:28 AM

sponsored links

hey well if anyone can help me, I cant connect using direct connect or ill network. I have a network and using a software router as server....anyone know how to do the setup? passive mode cant help.
Old May 06, 2002, 09:10 AM

To get your news server address, just CALL YOUR ISP. Talk to one of the tech support guys. It's usually something like this example:

e-mail: [email]joe@yourisp.com[/email]
news server: news.yourisp.com

in my case, my e-mail ends with cfl.rr.com and my news server address is news-server.cfl.rr.com (and no, this particular address won't work for you)

Since I've always thought Compuserve was a crappy AOL clone (although I've never used it) you may need to go with a pay account like easynews. For about $10 a month you can download a crap-load of DC games, PS2 games, and pick up the new Spiderman SVCD while you're at it, and since it uses a web based interface, any newbie can use it.
Old May 06, 2002, 10:28 AM

hey where can I get my isp address? Isn't there a site that I can visit that'll give me taht? I've been using ftp program to get games but its hard as hell to find games there. and peeps in mirc are jerks.

btw whats the best newsgroup program to use?
Old May 06, 2002, 01:49 PM
Veteran

ok I found out their newsserver address which is news.compuserve.com but on server information how do i find the account name and password. This is my brothers computer and hes gone for a couple of days so can I look for it on the hard drive or something? Under batch tt says, error while retrieving grouplist: 480 authentication required for command.

Last edited by DkantDside; May 06, 2002 at 02:23 PM.
Old May 07, 2002, 11:36 AM

IvanIverson: I'm not sure what you mean by "isp address" but if you are needing your news server address, call your Internet Service Provider (ISP), they'll be happy to tell you. As for the news reader program, I like to use Agent personally... other good programs are Xnews and GrabIT. Basically, just DON'T use Outlook.

DkantDside: You'll have to figure out the account name and password yourself. Personally, I don't have to use an account name and password when I'm accessing from a compter that's allready signed into my internet service.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:10 PM

I tried newsbin and it was easy as hell but the trial period has ended. Free agent and xnews is confusing. The header in xnews just dissappear and when i click on a topic some stuff appear at the bottom. I click the blue cube to decode files to a directory but after it's done i went to the directoty and no file. its frustrating!!!