CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 24, 2002, 06:47 AM
Veteran

Question

sponsored links

Care to expand on this, guys? I am using UltraEdit as well. Which first two bytes are you talking about, which file (I suppose the EXE) and which value has to be changed to what and how do you recognize that byte sequence that says it's an updated firmware???

I'm burning with curiosity!!
Old Apr 24, 2002, 10:13 AM
Veteran

I've got no idea 83! I didn't do the editing of the Hex but I have now got the hacked firmware if anyone needs it.

The hacked version indicates it is upgrading to XSOT (to overcome the fail if it thought it was trying to downgrade).

The second entry is left as XSOF (the original Firmware). It's this second entry which apppears in the drive properties, Nero, Clone etc to indicate the Firmware version currently installed.

I know what you mean though, I've used UltraEdit on the file but as I've rarely poked around in Hex editing other than for messing about I'm not conversant enough in the procedures.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 01:07 PM

hello chr15

could you possibly send me the hacked firmware please ...........had the same problems after flashing my firmware too

many many thanks in advance
Old Apr 24, 2002, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by markcade [/i]
[B]hello chr15

could you possibly send me the hacked firmware please ...........had the same problems after flashing my firmware too

many many thanks in advance [/B]
No problem, let me know your email address and I'll send it to you
Old Apr 24, 2002, 04:06 PM
suspended

CHR15, if you click on his profile and click here to E-mail markcade, you can mail him through the forum.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 04:19 PM

Hey, guys, I'm a Teac man myself, but so many people seem to love Liteon, I just wonder -- how could something like this happen, coming from a "reputable" company? And how can anybody expect consumers to tolerate this kind of unnecessary panic? I know companies like to discourage flashing, but vendors/service people have to flash for customers using the same (apparently defective) firmware. Don't they test these firmware upgrades before they release them?!

I'd return my x&!*# drive and wouldn't buy that brand again!

OK, easy now, Liteon lovers, don't go gettin' excited....