CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 27, 2002, 03:38 PM

Unhappy Computer is a mess and is very unstable!!!HELP!Please!

sponsored links

Sigh... where to start.Let me start of with my computer specs.... I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion with Windows 98.
64 MB SDRAM memory with up to 11MB allocated video memory.Hard Drive is 10.2GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive.I had the cd-rom taking out last year and I put in a Philips 800 Series CD burner.

Now the problem started earlier this year but it has progressed to much worse now and I can't handle it.Ever since I got the cable modem put it..... the Windows 98 screen takes 7 freakin minutes to load up to the windows screen now if that ain't annoying !Cable Modem is fast but everytime I run WinMX or Kazaa and play my MP3's and both surf the net..... my computer usually crashes and I have to wait 7 minutes again!!I believe it has something to do with memory am I right??Just last week my dad ordered this Free Memory Pro $29.99 but it seems like it didn't do anything good but worse.Now my CD Burner is acting out of wack!! The burner sometimes automatically come on and says it's burning when nothing is and a cd not in there.Sometimes the computer checks the drive and sometimes it's not there!When I try to eject to put a blank cd in there.... it won't open!! I am 15 years old and I am good with the internet and stuff but I am very scrared when it comes to opening computers and checking out what's wrong or anything like that. I am confused because everything is a mess..... even if you can't help me..... I appreciate taking your time out to help me.Having a very bad migrane right now!!!!
Old Apr 27, 2002, 06:39 PM
Veteran

That doesn't sound good. You may have to re-format and start again. It doubt that you can fix that. Unless the RAM is faulty or your Hard Drive has bad sectors?

Roger
Old Apr 27, 2002, 06:42 PM

Sounds to me, (from what you are saying) that you are having nothing more then software\hardware (Drivers & Interrupts) conflict problems… Nothing serious, you will have to do a new clean install of Windows 98.

Will post you post more info on how this is done latter… Right now, I’m on my wayout of the front door.

Last edited by Kayelbey; Apr 27, 2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2002, 06:52 PM

Default confused

try reloading your s/ware+drivers 4 your burner+make sure everything is connected correctly..uninstall everything not needed..formay and load windows as a last resort...cheers.

[IMG]***********.ewandew.com/sig/shazco1.gif[/IMG]
Old Apr 27, 2002, 09:13 PM
Veteran

classic problem - family PC, everyone installs stuff, starts to go wrong
Dad buys more s/ware to try to make good, goes even worse
Like others have said, a clean install sounds best here. Most dedicated computer users have to reformat every few months at the most to keep things running smoothly, im guessing ur PC's being running at least a year as it is, without a format.

Although, having said that, the 'dad' solution is normally to buy a new PC lol and i am speaking from experiance here
Old Apr 27, 2002, 09:18 PM
Veteran

Well, if the PC takes 7 mins to start, that;s loads of programes are in stratup folder which I am sure few of them shouldnt be there, a clean install of windows and other applications is the best choise, that would smooth up the process.

Regards
Closed Thread