CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 28, 2002, 06:16 PM

Default When Uploading, does it effect the download speed ?

sponsored links

Hi guys,
Just a quick question,
Say your using Direct Connect,
When you upload, does it effect the download speed?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2002, 06:37 PM
Veteran

Well, I don't know what kind of connection you have, so here's how it works for me. My cable connection is rated 1500/128 - that's 1500 down and 128 up (so the total theoretical bandwith is 1628 mbps at any given moment even though I usually only have about 80% of that available most times due to headers and whatnot).

So in my case the answer is no.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 06:45 PM
Veteran

It does m8, for obvious reason the port is busy with uploading, so will affect the download or other way around.

Ex: 1500/128....does not mean you will get that speed when doing both task at the same time.

Regards
Old Apr 28, 2002, 07:19 PM
Veteran

If the upload rate is capped it won't necessarily be reduced by the download. If it's uncapped it will certainly be affected since the total bandwidth will be shared. You should run some test to see how it affects your connection.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 07:46 PM

Default huh?

UUuummm......I'm already already a bit lost at what you guys are saying

Anyway, I access the Net via LAN, the connection is BT OpenW ADSL.
The site says i get:
*Download speeds of up to 500Kbps
*Upload speeds up to 250Kbps

When i use Direct Connect, my d/l speed is usually between 10-20+kbs.
When peeps try to download my files, the upload is Slow and the d/l speed drops a little.

@ Keymaster, how can i test my connection?

Please reply with Newbie language (no Ports, Capped, etc.)

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2002, 04:03 AM
Veteran

OK, by capped I mean the connection actually is capable of higher speeds but the ISP artifically limits the speed. In this case there's no reason why you couldn't get both the contracted download speed and upload speed at the same time, since your connection is actually capable of both. If it were uncapped you would get all the download speed your connection could handle so uploading at the same time would use some of the bandwidth and slow down your download speed.

Think of the cpped speed as a govener on your car. You car would actually be capable of a higher speed, so adding a load to your car may not slow your car down since you could still reach the govered speed. On the other hand if it's uncapped (ungoverned) adding an additional load would slow your car down since it was traveling as fast as the engine would drive it with the reduced weight.

As far as testing the connection speed, although you have not done a scientific test you have already observed a reduction in the download speed while your uploading. The best way to test accurately is to take a large file, like 20 MB or so, and downloading it from a site that can download faster than your connection. Then optionally upload the same file to a site. Then download while uploading. Record the amount of time each takes indivudually and record the time it takes to download while uploading. Divide the file size by the time in seconds each time. You will get your download rate in MB/sec while the file is downloaded with and without upload. And optionally you will get you actual upload rate.
Closed Thread