CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:05 AM
Veteran

Default 20 GB Hard Drive

sponsored links

OK I have two installed in my puter and wanted to make the one a dual boot and used Partition Magic 7.0 and when it was done it showed I had one hD at 4.87 and the second at 20?

I reformatted the C drive thinking I would reinstall and just start all over but it still shows only 4,87???????? Ant ideas?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:08 AM
Veteran

Format alone wont change the partition size, you need to re-size the partition to take advantage of the whole 20GB.

HTH
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Are you saying that you have 2x20Gb hard drives installed in your machine? If so before you formatted were they recognised as 2 x 20 Gb? Are they both fully partitioned and formatted - if space is left unallocated then it wont be recognised by windows. If you are using PM7, take a look at whether or not all the space is allocated to a partition, if not allocate it to a partition.

If one of these is a new drive then it may be that your Bios needs upgrading to recognise this amount of storage space.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Virgin San [/i]
[B]Are you saying that you have 2x20Gb hard drives installed in your machine? If so before you formatted were they recognised as 2 x 20 Gb? Are they both fully partitioned and formatted - if space is left unallocated then it wont be recognised by windows. If you are using PM7, take a look at whether or not all the space is allocated to a partition, if not allocate it to a partition.

If one of these is a new drive then it may be that your Bios needs upgrading to recognise this amount of storage space. [/B]
They both were recognized before I tried the partition and now after screwing it up,reformatting now the second only is rec. as a 20 and the first still acts as if it's been partitioned and only reads such.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 09:49 AM
Veteran

So one of your drives is formatted and showing as 4.87 Gb ?

Boot to DOS and run fdisk. Remove (delete) the 4.87 partition and then re-format the whole drive. It should then show as the correct 20Gb size.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:38 AM
Veteran

If you are familiar with fdisk that is ...
It sounds like you've screwed your formatting up. I would suggest you should remove all the partitions from the drive in question and set up a single new 20 Gb partition on it (you can't leave it unpartitioned and use it), then format it.

If you dont know about fdisk you can do this action with PM7 as well.

In fact if the drive that is showing as 4.87 is the one with your OS on you really dont wanna fdisk it as you'll have to reinstall windows yet again! With PM you can look at the space available on the drive and allocate it to the 4.87 Gb partition using the resize wizard, or create a new partition out of the available space if you so desire (might be a good idea if this space is not formatted - you can use PM to format it too).
Closed Thread