CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:20 AM

Question Faulty DVD Rom drive?

sponsored links

I'm having problems with my Panasonic DVD-106s drive.
I've had it since December 2001 and the problems have only just begun.

Having found Easy CD Creator had suddenly stopped backing-up my audio CDs, and RealJukebox 2 Plus had also decided not to rip them to mp3s, I uninstalled both programs. Easy CD Creator was coming up with read timeouts and "incorrect parameter" errors. RealJukebox was saying it couldn't record my CDs but gave no reason. I can rip mp3s from my Plextor 161040a and also copy CDs using that drive. The DVD Rom drive can READ the CDs fine (I can navigate in and out of folders and read (say) Word documents and I could PLAY audio CDs in RealJukebox before I uninstalled it, but not rip them or copy them.

I cannot install anything from the DVD drive, if it involves launching a SETUP.EXE file on a data CD. When I try launching SETUP I get the Windows message "unknown has caused an error in unknown". This is then followed by a message saying that the operation had been cancelled "due to restrictions" on my computer, and I should contact my system administrator! WTF, this is in Windows Me.

Another strange thing is that if I put the affected CD in my Plextor CDRW drive, the SETUP works fine and the Installer kicks in. I've tried different CDs and the situation is the same - SETUP files work fine in the CDRW drive but I get the weird errors when trying to use the DVD Rom drive.

I used Ghost to clone my C: partition, allowing me to revert my PC back to before I started having the problems. I managed to rip a couple of songs from an audio CD in RealJukebox, but when I put another CD in, it said it couldn't record again. Easy CD Creator (Copier) will not copy any audio CDs using the Pioneer 106S.

IMHO all this points to a faulty Pioneer 106S. I have spoken to technical support at the store where I bought the drive and the man I spoke to said he'd never heard of the problems I was experiencing but that they were unlikely to be caused by a faulty drive. When I told him that the drive will play DVDs and audio CDs he said "what else would you want to do with it?!" in an off-hand manner. I explained again that I want to use the DVD drive as a source when backing up an audio CD, and to use it as I would a CD Rrom drive - i.e. be able to launch setup.exe files from it. All he could come up with was to "try different software". That's not the answer - as I told him, if I'm trying to install a program from a CD, what "software" would make any difference when all I'm doing is double-clicking on the exe file!

So where do I go from here - is there some utility that can thoroughly test the DVD Rom drive?

I'd be grateful for any help with this.

Thanks