CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 30, 2002, 02:27 PM

Default Are dc backups the exact same as originals?

sponsored links

I was just wondering if dc backups are the same as originals. I read that dc games have over a gig of space on them. So what do they do to fit them on a cd-r?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 03:12 PM
Veteran

some games do not take up the whole gdrom, so they fit fine. others require downsampling (or reducing the quality) of music and voices to mono, and lowering the video bit rates of FMV files.

go to www.isonews.com for game release info. the release info also tells if anything was removed or downsampled. 9 time out of 10 nothing is ever removed completely, unless the game is HUGE
Old Apr 30, 2002, 03:16 PM
Veteran

sega used GD-Roms (gigabyte rom discs) for storing dreamcast games on - this doesnt mean that every game actually took up 1 GIG, some of them only took up about 1 hundred meg (crazy taxi) - for the ones that did take up the whole disc they had their movies and sound downsampled and maybe had some movies or music removed - most dreamcast games can fit on an 80 minute cd without a problem, most dreamcast games also have dummy files to push the data to the outside of the disc which is where the dreamcast starts reading from so it behaves more like an original
Old Apr 30, 2002, 05:55 PM

So are there any games that anyone knows of that has had something noticable taken out?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 06:09 PM
Veteran

A lot of the older games had the CDDA (music) taken out, because they didn't know what to do with it at first. But most of those were re-ripped with the CDDA intact.

I know off the top of my head that the first rip of Head Hunter (by Hooligans) had all the movies ripped. Then Pulsar re-ripped it with most of the movies intact.

Your best bet is to check out www.isonews.com to see if whatever game you are looking for had anything taken out.

But as was stated above, most games you won't notice a thing.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 08:02 PM
Banned

some games most are downsampled