CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 03, 2002, 06:37 AM

sponsored links

Well, you guys have me sold. I tend to listen to yours and Lazza's suggestions and opinions about these kinda things. I paid for ZAP but its about time to renew it. And we all know FREE is the way to go, but only if the product can deliever. Thanks guys. Can't wait to hear your report Zack.
Old May 03, 2002, 06:57 AM
suspended

IMHO crowdaddy00 ZAP was the way to go but they sure screwed it up with V3. It's a firewall, no, no wait a minute it's now an ad-blocker, hold on it's still a firewall... (JMO Zack ) Then suprise, suprise they withdraw the free version too, talk about the rug being pulled from under you!

I now use Sygate Pro on my main Me based system and it does the biz for me. But I can see little between this, Kerio or Outpost really. They are all VERY good firewalls.

But as you said, why pay at all if you can get a free version that does a great job?

Cheers
Old May 03, 2002, 09:20 PM

i cant seem to get the concept with Kerio and the rule based settings. i guess i got pampered with ZAP. i tried Kerio and i couldnt figure out how to set it up. I think i will settle for ZAP till i buy a couple of books on firewalls and how to set them up.
Old May 03, 2002, 11:32 PM
Veteran

Kerio basically asks you for your permission on every connection. If it is a connection you will make a lot, such as IE or Outlook or whatever, you tell it to create a rule that always allows that connection. It takes a bit more configuration than ZAP, but in the end, I really like it. Gives you more control. As far as ZAP goes Lazza, I tend to agree with you. I want a firewall that is just that...maybe throw in IDS (intrusion detection). I don't necessarily want it doing ad-blocking and all too. I mean, I want my firewall to be fast and efficient, with as little overhead as possible. Anyways... Will try to do research on the whole Kerio/Tiny relationship. Sent emails to both company's requesting info... Amazing what they will tell you if they think you are interested in getting volume licenses. Hopefully I will getresponses soon. I'm also going to look around online and see what I can find out...

-Zack
Old May 04, 2002, 01:12 AM

Maybe you can help me set up a rule base. i dont know what ports to allow for each program, even my internet connection. thanks
Old May 04, 2002, 01:32 AM
Veteran

Well, normal http traffic is port 80.

But, when you click on Internet Explorer, it ought to say something like "iexplore.exe is trying to connect to..." It should have a button that says Permit. Below that there should be a check box that says something about creating a policy. Check that and then click Permit. From then on, Kerio will allow that application to have access to the net. Make sense?? Let me know if you still have trouble with it. We'll get you fixed up M8.

-Zack