CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 04, 2002, 08:32 AM

sponsored links

is it ok to let it acces all ports though? i tested the firewall and it shows my port 137 138 and 139 open. how do i close them? Also, is it ok to let any of my programs acces all ports and then set the firewall to max security?
Old May 05, 2002, 08:00 PM
suspended

crowdaddy00, this is the sort of reason why I prefer to use Sygate Pro.

Kerio is very good but I only have so much time to fart about with these things. I like a prog that just kinda sorts it self out PDQ.
Old May 06, 2002, 03:40 PM
Veteran

If you go into the Kerio ADMINISTRATION section, click on Advanced. Then click on Microsoft Networking. I check every box except, "Ask Me For Each Access To My Shared Folders." Then click "Add" to add a Trusted Network. THen add your network ID and subnet mask. If you don't know that info, then respond here and let me know. I will email you or something, because you don't want to post that info here. Oh, and Lazza is right. Sygate might be a bit better suited for you if you aren't comfortable with Kerio. I am kinda a network security geek, so I love all the configs in Kerio. Try Sygate out though and let me know what you think of it. It may work much better for you. Either way, we'll get you sorted M8.

-Zack
Old May 07, 2002, 06:51 AM

where did you learn all of that stuff? if was from books, let me know what ones so i can buy them to learn. i would love to learn how to mess with all those settings. i still have ZAP installed right now. i will uninstall it and try sygate pro. questions about it though. does it use less resources than ZAP? and how do i uninstall ZAP? i tried the instructions from ZAP website but when i reinstalled ZAP, it still knew my serial #. thanks again. i'm just a little paranoid so if sygate or kerio are better in protection, well then im gonna use it. allthough i do like the ad blocker in ZAP, im sure i can just use another program or set my browser to block it all. thanks again.
Old May 07, 2002, 08:32 AM
Veteran

Let me make a suggestion, if ZAP works well for you and you are happy with it, then leave it. No use a fixing something that ain't broke! As far learning this stuff, I just play around a lot. That's it. ZAP keeps a few entries in the registry so you don't have to reinstall the key. I am not sure where all it puts them though. I can do some looking and try to find out. Kerio uses less resources on my system than ZAP, but I haven't compared resources with Syagte and the newest version of ZAP, but I will.

-ZAck
Old May 08, 2002, 11:58 AM

I have Sygate for a firewall and Norton Anti-virus for a Virus scanner. The two make a good team.