CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 02, 2002, 06:59 PM

Default Can I block a site from loading on my PC?

sponsored links

Although I pay 15 quid a month out of my own pocket for internet access my little sister is increasingly and rather annoyingly spending more and more time online. On my PC!
She checks some crap garage music message board. She stays on ages
However Ive noticed that when the site is down she gets her fat arse off my pc.
My question is can I block this site from loading like people block **** sites from loading? Is there some sort of file I can edit so it looks like the specific site is down as i would prefer not to install net nanny or any other software that would block any of the sites i might find of interest
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old May 03, 2002, 08:33 AM

If you use a firewall, block it from there. Zonealarm has this facility to block sites. Can't remember if you can password protect zonealarm to stop your sister changing the settings though.
Old May 03, 2002, 11:45 AM
Veteran

why block the site just block youe sister an put a password on the pc
Old May 03, 2002, 08:14 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by uk_trader [/i]
[B]why block the site just block youe sister an put a password on the pc [/B]
Hi I don't really want to stop her using the pc because when I want a letter typed or something she may come in handy for menial admin tasks such as that, and she'd prolly refuse if all access to the pc was forbidden.

Surely there's a file I can edit so that when she enters www.southportweekender.co.uk it would come up page can not be displayed so she'd think the site was down and I could get on with some serious surfing.
Old May 04, 2002, 01:55 AM
Veteran

Search your computer for a file called [b]hosts[/b]

That is the whole name. No extension. Open it with Notepad. In it, you will see some examples. You need to do this. Skip one line after the bottom and type this:

[b]127.0.0.1 www.southportweekender.co.uk[/b]

Close the file.

That tells Windows basically that that particular site's IP address is 127.0.0.1. 127.0.0.1 is the special loopback address that always specifies your machine. You are bsaically telling Windows that the website to be blovked is located on your machine! You can do it as many times as you want. I have a customer that did that to an employee... He has over 200 addresses in there and they all point to 127.0.0.1. It works great as long as the victim doesn't know too much about networking... Oh, and make sure you reboot after you edit the file. I just tested her on my XP laptop and it worked fine... didn;t even have to reboot. I think with Win9x you might have to though. Don't rememeber for sure.

Just make sure that each site is on its own line.
For example,

[b]
127.0.0.1 www.cnn.com

127.0.0.1 www.abcnews.com

127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com
[/b]

That would make all three of those sites inaccessible. Pretty basic, neat trick. And no software to buy. Give it a shot. If you need more info, just post it here.

-Zack

[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif[/img]

Last edited by zack371; May 04, 2002 at 01:57 AM.
Old May 05, 2002, 10:03 AM

Hi zack371

You are brilliant. This is exactly what I wanted.
Although I have a few questions. I am running Win98b and when I search for a file called hosts it has the extension .SAM Is this the file i have to edit? there is also one called LMhosts.sam.

I've opened hosts.sam with notepad and this is displayed.

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost