CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 04, 2002, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Default How do you boot to DOS?

sponsored links

Can any one help me with this?

I want to delete all the backup files in my _RESTORE folder. These are .TMP files and .CPY files. I’ve been told that these files can only be deleted under DOS. My question is, how do you boot to DOS under Windows ME?

When I use the Windows ME boot floppy disk and select ‘DOS PROMPT ONLY’, I don’t see the _RESTORE folder. It’s not available to me. This also happens when holding down the CONTROL key during boot-up or pressing the F8 key. I need to boot into pure DOS.

Can any one help?

Jess
Old May 04, 2002, 01:17 PM
suspended

You don't see the _Restore folder because it's a hidden folder.

In Windows Explorer, rightclick on it then choose Properties & untick the hidden box. Now boot up the system with a bootdisk and you can see it in DOS. Remember to put it back to hidden after you're done.

Last edited by Van Nugent; May 04, 2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 04, 2002, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Or just disable system restore and delete it.

Roger
Old May 04, 2002, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Unhappy That didn't work!

Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to do what you suggested, but it didn’t work!

First of all, I couldn’t ‘un-hide’ the _RESTORE folder. I kept getting error messages about the file being in use. I clicked on the IGNORE button and that seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately, when I re-booted using the Windows ME boot-up disk, I still couldn’t see the _RESTORE folder.

Any other ideas? Please let me know.
Old May 04, 2002, 06:44 PM
Veteran

You don't need to be able to see it to delete it. deltree _RESTORE should delete it or attrib -h _restore should remove the hidden attribute.

dir /ah will show all the hidden files.
Old May 04, 2002, 07:40 PM
Veteran

Unhappy That didn't work either.

Hi Celtic Druid,

If you read my original post, I asked if any one knew how to boot into DOS under Windows ME. Using the DOS command ATTRIB was one of the first things I attempted, but them I realised that I wasn’t in a pure DOS environment. DELTREE doesn’t work either. I kept getting ‘BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME’. Hence my original post.

I now understand that Windows ME doesn’t support DOS at all. The only way to remove the _RESTORE folder and it’s contents is by disabling PC Health, Windows Help and then System Restore. It’s all a bit to involved for me.

The best way to reduce the space taken up by system restore, is first to disable it by right-clicking on MY COMPUTER, the select PROPERTIES, PERFORMANCE, and then FILE SYSTEM, TROUBLESHOOTING. Check DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE. Then reboot.

Then, switch it back on and reboot. Then switch it back off again, and reboot. Sounds long winded, but it purges all the files from the _RESTORE folder.

If any one is interested, I found the following:-

Add MS-DOS mode back to Windows Millennium Edition
Seeing as Windows Millennium Edition will be the last version of Windows based on the 9x kernel & future version will be based on the NT kernel, which is a real 32-bit Operating System (64-bit soon enough but that’s another matter), DOS mode will be killed off.
As a result DOS features are limited (e.g. cannot Restart in MS-DOS mode) or removed altogether in some sort of subtle attempt to make users to get over DOS.
You would be infinitely better off just sticking with Windows 98 Second Edition if you want full MS-DOS features.
Closed Thread