CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 06, 2002, 03:07 PM
Veteran

Default Ideas on how the Gamecube may be hacked?

sponsored links

So in the last week the XBox was finally hacked, yes I was happy, but (it seems like I am the only one) I would have much rather have the Gamecube hacked. I LOVE Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. franchises, and the new Super Monkey Ball. No I am not a kid, I don't care how "kiddy" a game looks, you just CANNOT deny excellent gameplay. And great gameplay is delivered by Nintendo.
But how do you think the Gamecube will be hacked? Well here is my theory:
We will need an external DVD drive (like a CPU DVD drive, hopefully not a special one, but if one is needed, then so be it). Then you hook the dvd drive into the GC and the games will be played on that In normal DVDR and CDR. But, to get the GC to recognize that the DVD drive is there and needs to be read first, then we'll need a modchip. Hopefully this modchip would not have many wires, since the PS2 has a NeoKey which requires one wire to work, and all that wire does is make the PS2 recognize the USB port at a time when the USB port is usually unrecognized, samething could be done with the GC here [maybe]. But there is still protection that needs to be dealt with, so the mod would also be taking care of that solution.
How do you think that it will be done?
I know it's a lot easier said than done, but some smart hackers can maybe get ideas and use them.
Old May 06, 2002, 03:35 PM
Veteran

well people have said that the cube wont read any other form of media than the custom dvds it uses, i dont know if this is true, but hope it isnt.

if not then im thinking it will be like the dreamcast, where the cube will be connected to a pc via the broadband adaptor and the games ripped to the pc that way. then burned to 8cm DVD (-R)(-RAM) ??

but if it cant read standard media then there is no other option than to have an external reader, maybe a USB or Firewire external DVD-ROM drive for a PC/MAC, obviosly the cable would have to be modded to somthing that can connect to the cube.

or...

somthing like the dr'64 for the n64

i for one cant wait till this little machine is hacked because i love it
Old May 07, 2002, 09:26 AM

remeber when the the ps2 came out people asked the same queastion where do u get disks from 2 copy the games..................a few moths later u can get hold of dvd-r from anywhere.

so i think 6 months from now other devices will use the same type of media and 8cm disks will be avalable from anywhere

BUT THEN THATS WHAT I THINK
Old May 07, 2002, 10:23 AM

isnt there blanks of them 8cm dvd out?

saw some guy here selling copy of gc games on them a while ago
Old May 07, 2002, 11:01 AM
Veteran

do you guys remember the Doctor64, that was a device which plugged into any N64 and allowed you to boot games off a CD (i have one of these and it works great) - something like that could be used to make the GameCube read games from either an external CD or DVD drive - then we just need the groups to rid the games from the mini-dvd format to standard DVD-R or CDR media
Old May 07, 2002, 12:16 PM
Veteran

how much did the doctor 64 cost?