CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 18, 2002, 01:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Antarctica (Yes, the penguins DO use Linux down here)

sponsored links

The Panasonic Q will be hacked first since it can read other types of media...
a couple months ago I thought I saw a post with a link to a site that sold RiTek(Yeah, they suck, but maybe it was another brand) Mini-DVDs that were the exact same as GC discs.
Old May 18, 2002, 08:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by upur0 [/i]
[B]why dont someone design a gc case where fullsize discs fit, then just release a mod for it. Now, thatd be great. itd be a cheap solution (compared to a Dr64 type device) and would be more popluar than an external solution. [/B]
I might not know what I am talking about but even if their was a different case then isn't the eye(lens that reads the data off the disc)designed to only go out as far as a GC disc reaches.

EX.

Lets say the GC disc are 2 inches from the middle to the outside of the disc. Then wouldn't the lens only be designed to go out 2 inches(not sure on the excat length)out, so even if you get it to read normal 80 minute cd wouldn't it conly be able to go out to around of the middle of the disc then get stuck.

So if the game is on a DVD and you just cut the DVD to make it fit or take the case off then the game will have to be within the range of the lens.

I'm not sure on all this because I don't own a GC.
Old May 19, 2002, 02:08 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by CDsFROMtheUS [/i]
[B]i heard that the original gc games are burned from the outside in. but that shouldnt be a problem with a modchip

doesnt a gc game reading in a dvdrom??? just like a standard mini disc works inside a cdrom

i want to know how how it will be to develop a modchip for it. for example the xbox appears to be a piece of cake. days after the games were out, we had new of FULLING working mods. on the other hand it could be as tough as the playstation2. where we still dont have the 'perfect all purpose' mod

the doctor64 approach would be the hardest. the most that would be worthwild is an external dvdrom. either way you still need a modchip [/B]
yes they are i'm almost possitive, and no current burners on the public market burn this way, so that would be one major task to retrain the GC to read from the inside, also if the guy above me is correct then even if burners could burn from the outside in they would have to use mini dvdr