CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 22, 2002, 10:02 AM

Default films from newsgroups? how,,,,

sponsored links

Hi all
on the old board there used to be a post about getting vcd's from newsgroups -or with outlook express
any ideas?
all help please
and thanks in advance!!
toneinblack
Old Jan 22, 2002, 10:11 AM

Well, you need a news server. Most ISP's provide one and I beleive there are some public servers out there. Once you have a news server, ide get a program called Grabit. Its freeware, and awesome for downloading large files off newsgroups. You can go to www.binnewz.net and find out whats on most newsgroups also.

Hope this helps
Spart
Old Jan 22, 2002, 04:19 PM

I have posted a few answers to this very question before, as this is the best way IMHO to get movies from the net(KaZaa and Mirc are full of viruses and slow download times). I use NewsBin Pro, as it is a realy great program for the binaries. You will also need a usenet account to have access to the newsfeeds. Once you have these things, hook up and set up whatever program you have. You need to select some groups now, the best ones being alt.binaries.vcd, and alt.binaries.vcd.repost. Do a group search on cd and find the groups you would like to use. Then you must gather the posts. You need an SFV checker, there are many out there for free. This will verify that your files are fine. Another must have program is SmartPAR, which is a file checking tool and will also replace and repair corrupted files. Instead of searching for a specific file, you can download a generic file to replace the missing or corrupted files. Truly better than sliced bread, even. Then you need to put them all together, then burn the file onto CD. Usually the files are either ISO, cue/bin, or ccd/img/sub files. So you will need Nero, CDRWin, and CloneCD respectively.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 09:19 AM

thanks for the replies and will try all options-at the moment i have x news on the pc but cant work out how to get to the films (but i will lol)
thanks again
toneinblack
Old Jan 23, 2002, 10:39 AM

If you are willing to pay $10+ then check out easynews.com.
They offer a service to easily search newsgroups and download anything you could want. Fast and quality downloads.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:45 AM

i,m in the u-k so might not work for over here but thanks anyway
toneinblack