CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 25, 2002, 01:09 PM

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by we_were_raided [/i]
[B]have a look at this guys

i found this on the american ebay auction.

*****************.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1354666771

could this be the future of divx [/B]
No, that is the PAST of divX. That model is the old Circuit City sold divx players which came out when dvd players were fairly new.. other than the fact that they have the same name, there is no relation between that divx and the divx which we're talking about.
Old May 25, 2002, 02:00 PM

That's right, I remember that divx player. I thought that format would take off. Seemed to be a good idea at the time...
Old May 26, 2002, 10:20 AM
Veteran

i had a panasonic dvd/divx player.
it came from america and had a modem built in.
from reading the manual i worked out that you had to go to a video rental store, buy a disk with the film on, as soon as you put it in the drive of the player it would contact somewhere to authorise the disc. then you could watch the film and have the choice of keeping the film for a price or throwing the disc away.
sounds complicated and before you ask i never tried a normal divx disc in it, although i doubt i would have worked anyway.
Old May 26, 2002, 10:31 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by celtic_druid [/i]
[B]Yes, DivX movies can use dolby AC3 audio.. I have never heard of DTS being used though, I can see no reason why a DTS stream could not be used (whether it will play back is another matter)... Also OGG 6 channel audio can be used, although they have not got the channel coupeling working yet. [/B]
how would you connect a computer to a dolby digital receiver to get the surround sound?
Old May 26, 2002, 11:25 PM
Veteran

I guess you would just hook it up using your optical or coaxial out.
Old May 28, 2002, 02:15 PM

Well grief. Standalone Divx;-) players have been out for a long time. Not just a homebuilt little crap either, I mean a real mass produced rig. Look at this: ***********.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_list.php?category=128&

I'm surprised that nobody has ever seen these before.... By the way, I tried to register a long time ago to post something like this, but it never let me register... I just now got accepted hehe... been reading this forum for a long time.